Thursday, July 12, 2007

Insightful Meme

While I'm not sure why they are called "meme's" (because Mimi is my fantabulous grandmother), I still like to do em now and then. This one, is going to make me think, which could prove to be very difficult, seeing as how I just started my 2nd cup of coffee...

anywho, here are the questions leendaluu presented (p.s. you should totally read her answers):

1. If you could invite three people to dinner (they can be living, dead or fictional) whom would you invite, and why would you invite them?
2. At this dinner, what would you serve (meal planning is the key to the soul, I think)?
3.If you could live go back in time and live in any era, which era would you choose?


My Answers:

1. My dad's mother. She passed away when my dad was like 11. I hear she was an awesome lady, and I know she was beautiful. I would love a chance to talk to her and get to know her in a way that only grandparents and grandchildren can. I've been oh so fortunate to be best friends with my mother's parents, and would not trade that for the world. I have also been blessed to know both of my great-grandmothers. One is still alive...

Jesus. I have so many questions that I desperately want answers to. Some are selfish, like "why why WHY did God decide to take my Papa when he did? Didn't He realize just how much we need him?!" some are insightful "why on earth did Noah let mosquitoes onto the arc?" some are philosophical "i know that as mere humans, we are constantly a disappointment. why oh why did your father sacrifice you for a wretched being like me?" some are just downright muy importante "will i ever live the life i dream about? the one with a loving husband, kids, enough money that we don't have to choose between bills to pay?" most of all, I would love to just be able to lay my head in His lap, and weep.

oh crap just one more seat left at the table...hmmm

of course, the first person that popped into my head was George Strait. i would so love to get to know this man, but i don't think it would be very appropriate to drool over and possibly rape him while Jesus and Grandma are sitting at the table. So, I'll go with....Meryl Streep. I know I know, totally random. BUT, i love Meryl Streep. She fascinates me. I first fell in love with her in "Bridges of Madison County" (shut up, i LOVE that movie AND the book). Then I saw "Out of Africa" and loved her even more. I love catching documentaries about her and would really like to read her biography. I don't know what it is about her, but she just seems like an awesome person to get to know. I can see us gabbing over a glass (or ten) of wine, having intellectual conversations, sprinkled with lots of girl talk and laughing. Hmmm now i sound like i have a crush on her....I think she just so much reminds me of Mimi and My Ann in so many ways...

2. gosh dinner with grandma, jesus, and meryl streep. what to serve what to serve. i'd probably go all Martha and plan till i want to cry, then plan some more. Then I'd pull out my Paula Deen cookbook and flip through it writing possibles down. Then I'd probably settle on fresh bruschetta, filet mignon, lemon pepper aspargus wrapped in pancetta, garlic mashed potatoes, a baguette of italian bread, lots of Lambrusco, assorted cheeses, a bit of limoncello, and some genuine gelato or a cheesecake...or both...

gosh that sounds sooooo good right now!

3. I don't know that I would change the era I live in. In all honesty, the era I've grown up in is quite possibly the only one that would allow me to live freely. I am a female. I am bi-racial. While I like to hear the stories of the simplicity of my grandparents' childhoods, and think it would have been so fun, I also have to remember my heritage. And it would not have been so fun for me back then. I'm glad I didn't have to grow up during times of slavery. I'm glad I didn't have to grow up in a time where women were mere possessions. I'm glad that I can be half black and half white and not have to worry about which restaraunt I can eat at or what water fountain to drink out of. I'm glad I can vote. I'm glad I live in a time that I can have a career if I choose to, or be a SAHM if I want to in the future. I'm so glad that I live in a time that doesn't call for arranged marriages and that because I'm almost 23 and not married, I'm not considered an Old Maid or a lost cause. While I may wish I was born a few (like 5 or maybe 10) years earlier, that is simply because that is that much longer I would have had with my Papa and other people that have meant so much to me...and my children would have known Papa too. That's one thing that has hurt the most about his death - the children I have (granted i ever have any) will never know that wonderful man, other than the stories I tell them.

so...now it's time for taggy taggy:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh! I loved your response! That's why I love, love, love those questions..you get the best out of people! Thanks!

Hol said...

Very nice. I too wish I could have met my dad's mother. She died before I was born, and it pains me even though I didn't really know her.

I'd also like to have met both my mom and my dad's grandmothers. I've heard some wonderful stories about them.

Nancy said...

Good answers, I just saw that you tagged me ... I post it soon =)

Anonymous said...

Ooh...good meme. I might actually have to do this one.

Very nice.

Rebecca said...

Great answers. My mouth is watering from your menu.